Trade names include Silvadene, SSD AF, Thermazene.
Silver Sulfadiazine topical cream is a sulfa drug that is used in the prevention or treatment of skin infections in patients with second and third degree burns; it can also be used for other conditions that will be determined by your doctor. Silvadene has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that work by killing bacteria or fungi and is for external use only.
Before using this drug tell your doctor:
- About any previous allergy to this drug, any allergy to sulfa drugs or other medications.
- About any other medications you are using whether they are prescription or over-the-counter.
- If you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- If you have liver or kidney disease as smaller doses may be needed.
- If you have an enzyme deficiency disease known as glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD) because of the increased risk of hemolysis.
Follow the instructions given to you by your doctor for using Silvadene. When using Sivadene:
- Wash your hands thoroughly and wear sterile gloves.
- Cover the cleaned burned area with a thin layer of about 1/16 inch of the Silvadene once or twice a day as recommended by your doctor.
- The burned area should be kept covered with the medicine at all times.
- Reapply the medicine to the burned area if for any reason it becomes uncovered.
- The area treated can be left uncovered or may be covered with dressing (consult your doctor).
- Burning sensation on the treated area and itching, contact your doctor if they don't go away or if they become severe.
- Skin rash, this may indicate allergy to the drug, contact your doctor.
- Dark skin discoloration.
- Rare side effects may include increased skin sensitivity to sunlight, fever, bloody urine, decreased or painful urination, unusual bleeding or bruising, sore throat, unusual weakness, shortness of breath. You have to contact your doctor immediately if you develop any of these symptoms.
Contact your doctor if you notice signs and symptoms of infection or if an infection worsens (see skin infection).
Keep the medicine out of reach of children and follow your doctor's orders regarding the use of this medication and the duration of use. Don't stop using Silvadene unless you have been told to do so by your doctor.
This information is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice; it should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Call 911 for all medical emergencies.