Laughter is free, it has many positive effects on the physical and mental health and no known negative side effects. Laughter binds people together, infact it’s the shortest distance between two people.
A team of researches from the University of Leeds, UK, found laughing habits in people suffering from wounds can accelerate healing compared to using advanced technology.
The effect of laughter may include:
- Laughter stimulates the release of endorphines, when the endorphins level increase in the brain, the pain perception decreases leding to a decrease in pain.
- When we laugh, the diaphragm will move leading the blood to move more smoothly throughout the body icreasing the ability of the body to use oxygen and this may lead to faster healing of the wound.
- Laugh raises the activity and number of natural killer cells (NK cells). NK cells are cells attack and play a major role in rejection of viral infected cells and some types of tumor cells. NK cells are part of the immune system.
- Helps prevent heart disease ( astudy done in the University of Maryland Medical Center)
- An increase in Immunoglobulin A (IgA) antibody which help to fight upper respiratory tract infection. There are five types of Immunoglobulins in our body (IgA, IgG, IgM, IgE, IgD).
- An increase in immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibody, they are the most common type of antibodies in our body and play an important role in fighting viral and bacterial infections, they also cross the placenta (the only Ig that has this ability) and help in protecting the fetus.
- An increase in immunoglobulin M (IgM) which are the first antibody type produced in response to an infection.
- An increase in T helper cells, therse are the cells attacked by HIV virus.
- An increase in gamma interferon which regulates the body’s ability to turn on the immune system.
- An increased in in complement 3 which is part of our immune system that helps antibodies pierce through infected or dysfunctional cells inorder to destroy them.
- An increase in number and activation of T cells as well as an increase in the ratio of helper/suppressor T cells.
- An increase in the number of B cells, they are the cells which make all the immunoglobulins.
The effect of laughter on stress:
- Lowers dopamine level which is associated with elevated blood pressure.
- Lowers epinephrine.
- Lowers growth hormone level in the blood.
- Lowers cortisol level.
- Lowers other stress hormones.
- Lowers blood pressure and heart rate after initial short rise.
- Reduces anxiety and fear.
- Relaxes our muscles.
- improves mood.
A stronge immune system is important in burn wound healing. Laughter boosts the immune system and increases the number of immunoglobulins which help fight infections. Infection is the most common complication of burns and is the major cause of death in burn victims. Make use of this easy to use strong medicine as it will not only make you happy, but will make everyone around you happy, it’s contagious.
This information is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice; it should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Call 911 for all medical emergencies
See also The effect of stress on the skin, Burn wound care at home.