Fires and burns are one of leading causes of household injuries. Simple things can be done to prevent or decrease these risks of fires and the resulting burns which include:
- Have a proper escape plan in case of an emergency.
- Make sure that a smoke detector is installed and it is working properly.
- Check the smoke detector every year.
- Make sure that you have a working, fully charged fire extinguisher.
- Make sure that your water heater is set to 120 degrees or less to avoid scalds, install radiator cover, and isolate exposed steam pipes.
- Fire places and burning candles should never be left unattended, dispose of cigarettes, and matches carefully; never place anything that may burn near a water heater, space heater, stove top, or near a furnace,
- If a kitchen fire occurs, don’t panic, know how to handle it and put it out. For oven fires, close the door and turn off the oven. For a stovetop fire, use a lid to smother it.
- Children should be taught never to play with matches, lighters, or gasoline; they should never be allowed to handle fireworks; never leave young children alone; place pots on the rear burner of the stove and turn the handles inward out of the reach of children; make sure that the stovetop is clean as residue grease can catch fire; make sure that the stove is turned off when you are finished; children should be taught what to do if they smell smoke of hear the smoke alarm.
- Never place electric cords under rugs or bedding. Heat or sparks from these cords may cause a fire.
- Always check electrical cords for signs of wear and replace cracked or frayed cords to avoid shock and fire. Don’t overload outlets or power strips, and cover unused outlets with plastic plugs.
- When dealing with chemical substances, protective clothing should be used; all chemical substances should be stored in tamper proof containers out of reach of children; chemicals should never be stored in food or drink containers; different products that contain toxic chemicals should not be mixed together as they may give off toxic fumes; avoid using potentially toxic substances in the kitchen or around food.
- If your clothes are on fire, stop, drop and roll.
- In case there is a fire in a building, you should move to the floor where the air is cool and clear because hot air carrying harmful gasses will rise up.
- Know the emergency phone numbers for your area. In most places it is 911. Teach children the emergency number and post it near each phone.
This information is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice; it should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Call 911 for all medical emergencies.