Articles Posted in Electrical Burns

Published on:

In Vestavia Hills, Alabama this week, a six-year-old girl suffered second degree burns and third degree burns when she came in contact with an electrical transformer that powered the lighting at a large athletic complex.

The girl was at the athletic complex to watch her older brother play soccer. But she wandered away from the field and towards a wooden fence that separated the spectator areas from the electrical transformer. But because there were two planks missing from the wooden fence, the girl was able to wiggle through the fence and got too close to the transformer. After suffering a severe electrical shock, the girl was treated by a doctor who happened to be at the complex. She was then flown by Life Saver helicopter to Children’s of Alabama Hospital. The girl was listed in fair condition a day after the incident.

The Vestavia Hills Mayor acknowledged that there were planks missing from the fence. The incident is under investigation, and it is possible that the family of girl could file a lawsuit claiming that the injuries the girl suffered were a result of negligence on the part of the city, which oversees the operation of the athletic complex.

If you or someone you know suffers an injury such as third degree burns or smoke inhalation, you should call Kramer & Pollack LLP in Mineola, New York so that the personal injury attorneys in that firm can determine whether another party has legal liability for injuries suffered, and if the injured party has a strong legal case.

Published on:

A few weeks ago in Kinston, NC, a utility worker was injured badly after 7,200 volts of electricity traveled through his body when he came in contact with an underground power wire. The worker, whose name was not released at press time, was working to fix a power outage when the incident happened. He was taken to the burn unit at UNC Hospital in Chapel Hill because he suffered second degree and third degree burns. One city official said the worker has second degree burns to his face and chest, and third degree burns to his arms and legs. The employee is a lineman who’s been with the city for 25 years. He was working on an underground primary line in a ditch when he was shocked.

That same week in Lake Katrine, NY, a faulty propane gas line caused a home fire that severely burned an elderly couple. The fire left the unidentified woman hospitalized in critical condition at Jacobi Medical Center in New York City, with burns over 90 percent of her body. The man was taken to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla with burns on about 40 percent of his body. Neighbors trying to help the couple also suffered burns that required medical treatment.

Officials investigating the fire say it is likely that there was a leak in the line between an outdoor propane tank and the stove inside the home, which caused an explosion.

These two incidents are prime examples of how common elements within a home can be dangerous, and even deadly. Electric and gas service are things we take for granted, but we must never forget to be careful when dealing with them. Exposed wires, loose or ungrounded plug outlets, and plug outlets near water faucets are prime areas where someone can be badly burned–or have their heart stopped– by electric shock. In fact, more people die from burns received by electric shock, rather than from a heart stoppage.

And anyone who lives in a home that uses propane or natural gas should always be aware of the smell the gas creates–if you can smell it even though it is not being used for cooking or heating at that moment, then you have detected a gas leak, which can cause an explosion from the smallest spark! So if you do smell gas, leave the house right away and call the local fire department to come and inspect the house.

If you or someone you know suffers a burn injury or a smoke inhalation injury, you should call Kramer & Pollack LLP in Mineola, NY so that the personal injury attorneys in that firm can determine whether another party has legal liability for injuries suffered, and if the injured party has a solid legal case.

Published on:


  1. If it is possible shut of the electrical current from its source.
  2. Call for medical help.
  3. If the current can’t be turned off, use a non conducting object such as a wooden broom, rug, and chair to push the victim away from the source of the current. Don’t use anything that conducts current like wet or metal objects and if possible stand on a dry and non-conducting object.
  4. Once the victim is free from the source of electricity; check his or her airway, breathing and pulses, if the victim isn’t breathing and is not responsive, it may be necessary to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
  5. If the victim has any signs of shock eg, pale, lay the victim down with the feet raised and cover the victim with a blanket to maintain body heat. Avoid moving the victim’s head or neck if there is suspicion of spinal cord injury.
  6. If the victim has an exit wound, cover it with a clean, sterile bandage.
  7. All patients with electrical burns should be taken to the hospital for further evaluation as there may be concealed internal injuries.

Things to be avoided:

  1. Don’t attempt to rescue a victim near active high-voltage lines.
  2. Don’t apply any butter, ointments, ice, or adhesive bandages to the burn.
  3. If the victim has burns, don’t break blisters or remove dead skin as this may lead to more damage and increase the risk of infection.
  4. Don’t touch the victim with your bare hands while the person is still in contact with the source of electricity.
  5. Don’t move any victim of electrical injury unless there is immediate danger such as fire because the victim may have internal injuries.


  1. Use child safety plugs in all electrical outlets.
  2. Don’t use electrical equipments near running water or when wet.
  3. Keep electrical cords out of reach of children and don’t let children suck or chew on them.
  4. Teach children the danger of electricity.
  5. Avoid electrical hazards by following manufactures safety instructions when using electrical appliances.
  6. Always turn off circuit breakers before making any repairs to wiring.
  7. Never touch electrical appliances while touching faucets or cold water pipes.

The human body conducts electricity. When the electrical current passes through body tissues it generates heat due to the resistance applied by the tissues, this heat may cause burns and extensive damage to internal organs.

Muscle contraction may happen when the external current is conducted by the nerves to the muscles; this contraction is involuntary and may lead the person to be frozen for a while. If the skeletal muscle contraction is severe, it may lead to bone fractures.

Electrical current may cause the heart to beat irregularly or it may cause it to stop beating.

This information is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice; it should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Call 911 for all medical emergencies.

Published on:

Electrical burns are burns that happen when a person is directly exposed to an electrical current, they can cause extensive damage to internal organs.

Potential causes:

  1. Children poking metal object like a knife in an electrical outlet, sucking, chewing, or biting an electrical cord.
  2. Accidental contact with exposed parts of electrical appliances.
  3. Occupational related exposure eg, electric arcs from high voltage power lines.
  4. Failing to shut the power supply before making home repairs.
  5. Lightning.
  6. Dropping a plugged-in appliance into water.

Symptoms may include:

  1. Skin burns.
  2. Numbness or tingling.
  3. Headache.
  4. Impaired swallowing, vision or hearing.
  5. Muscle contraction and pain.
  6. Bone fractures.
  7. Altered level of consciousness.
  8. Seizures.
  9. Respiratory failure.
  10. Heart arrhythmias and cardiac arrest.

This information is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice; it should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Call 911 for all medical emergencies.