Electrical burns are burns that happen when a person is directly exposed to an electrical current, they can cause extensive damage to internal organs.
- Children poking metal object like a knife in an electrical outlet, sucking, chewing, or biting an electrical cord.
- Accidental contact with exposed parts of electrical appliances.
- Occupational related exposure eg, electric arcs from high voltage power lines.
- Failing to shut the power supply before making home repairs.
- Dropping a plugged-in appliance into water.
Symptoms may include:
- Skin burns.
- Numbness or tingling.
- Impaired swallowing, vision or hearing.
- Muscle contraction and pain.
- Bone fractures.
- Altered level of consciousness.
- Respiratory failure.
- Heart arrhythmias and cardiac arrest.
This information is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice; it should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Call 911 for all medical emergencies.