Gas leak is dangerous and may lead to serious consequences if an explosion happens. That’s why it’s important to react quickly if you smell gas. The following things are to be done when smelling gas:
- Gas smells like a rotten egg.
- If you are inside and smell gas, worn others who are inside and leave the area where you smell gas to an outside area.
- Ventilate the area by opening the doors and windows but don’t waste time inside.
- Call the gas company or 911 if you suspect there is a gas leak from after you are outside the area.
- Avoid lighting a match, smoking, lighting a candle, using a lighter, using a cell phone or a regular phone until you have left the area. Do Not turn the light on or off as this may generate a spark that may lead to ignition of the gas.
- When you smell gas outside, stay away from the smell and worn others about the smell.
- Turn off the gas meter if you can do so safely.
- Don’t try to fix the leak yourself.
This information is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice; it should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Call 911 for all medical emergencies.