Published on:

Lawsuit Filed for Severe Burns Suffered from Exploding Gas Can

A lawsuit has been filed by the parents of a Texas teenager who suffered severe burns that were allegedly caused by a defective gas container.

The lawsuit was filed by Kenneth and Pam Crouch on behalf of their daughter, Brooke Crouch, on July 29 in the Eastern District of Texas, against Blitz U.S.A. Inc.

According to the complaint, a friend of Brooke attempted to reignite a campfire by pouring gasoline on it from a Blitz gas can. When the vapors outside the can ignited, it caused the can to explode, causing Brooke to suffer third-degree burns.

Burning gasoline sprayed out of the exploding can, dousing the girl on her legs and hands and under her skirt, causing severe burns in several areas. Brooke had to undergo surgeries, physical therapy, and even skin grafts to heal from her injuries.

The family alleges that the gas can explosion and the girl’s injuries could have been prevented if the product had been sold with a flamer arrestor or other safety device. The lawsuit accuses the company of manufacturing and marketing a defective gas can, strict liability, failing to adequately warn consumers of the possible risks and negligence.

Gas can flame arrestors are an inexpensive safety feature, usually costing under 50 cents. They have small holes within the gas spout, which prevents flames from entering the container. Arrestors are currently found on a number of different products, including certain bottles of rum.

If a similar incident has happened to you or someone you know, please contact Kramer & Pollack LLP in Mineola, NY to see if someone else is liable for any injuries that were suffered.

Lastly, this story should be a warning to everyone to NEVER pour gasoline onto a fire, regardless of whether the container has a flame arrestor. It is simply too dangerous.