Published on:

Child Protective Services (CPS): New York

Is a governmental agency that investigates and responds to any case of potential child abuse or neglect. Its purpose is to ensure that children are safe and to prevent any further abuse or neglect by the parents or the legal caregivers. CPS also helps families to get the services needed to guarantee a safe and a healthy home. CPS protects children from physical abuse, sexual abuse and neglect by the parents or the legal caregivers.

A suspected case of child abuse or neglect must be reported. Anyone can report a case of child abuse or neglect but professions who have regular contact with children like hospital personnel, teachers, social workers, and police are required to report suspected cases of child abuse or neglect by New York state law. The person who reports a case doesn’t need to have any evidence of child abuse or neglect. A suspicion to a reasonable degree based on behaviors, observation and other information is enough to make a report. The 24 hour New York State Central Register number is 1-800-342-3720. When calling the person will be asked specific information and the report will be accepted if the information provided meets the legal criteria for child abuse or neglect. Depending on the county that the family lives in, the report will be given to the CPS in that area.

The CPS will assign a caseworker to meet the family and assess the situation to determine if there is child abuse or neglect and the steps required to deal with it if there is a case.

Among the rights they have, parents have the right to:

  1. Be notified that a report has been made and the CPS has to notify the parents in writing within seven days.
  2. Be given the contact information of the case worker and his/her supervisor (name, phone number and which department), if not given, the parents should ask for it.
  3. Ask for a copy of the information in the Central Register report, all the information in the report can be given to the parents apart from information regarding the person who made the report.
  4. Ask the caseworker and the supervisor about the case progress and its status.
  5. Parents should save all the documents and papers they get and attend all the meetings regarding the case.
  6. Be told by CPS about your rights if a case of child abuse or neglect is found.
  7. Request to change the information in the report if the parents think that the information in the report is inaccurate.
  8. Ask any question they have about the case. Don’t hesitate to ask any question you have about your case.

Talk to the caseworker you are assigned to if you are not getting the services that you need. Services that are available differ from one place to another. Some programs and community services are free.

This information is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice; it should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Call 911 for all medical emergencies.

Contact Information