Published on:

Chlorine Poisoning And Chlorine Burns (part II)


  • Seek medical help immediately.
  • If the chemical exposure was on the skin or the eyes, cleansing of the skin or eyes with large amounts of water for at least 15 minutes. If the exposure on the skin results in chemical burn see chemical burns part I, II.
  • If the patient swallowed the chemical substance immediately give the person water or milk, unless told not to by a medical care provider. Don’t give water or milk if the patient is vomiting, having convulsions, or other symptoms that make it hard for the patient to swallow. Don’t make the patient throw up unless told to do so by a physician.
  • If the chemical is inhaled move the patient immediately away from that area to an area where there is fresh air.


Certain protective measures can be followed to prevent exposure to toxic levels of chlorine.

  • Protective masks and good ventilation for those working with the chemical will help avoid inhalation while working with the chemical.
  • Face shield and eye protection with breathing protection will help protect the eyes.
  • Protective clothing and insulating gloves will help protect the skin.
  • Proper handling of the chlorine containing substance.
  • Keeping all bleaching materials out of the reach of children in well secured containers.

This information is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice; it should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Call 911 for all medical emergencies.

Contact Information