Published on:

Fire Safety Lesson for Parents and Kids: iPod Battery Starts Fire

Last week, I wrote a blog that covered the new fire hazards that are part of everyday life because of new technology and products being sold to the public. Well, a perfect example of this popped up this week:

On June 21, Farmington, NH high-school students trying to complete final exams were interrupted when an iPod battery exploded in a classroom. To avoid smoke inhalation, the classroom was evacuated and the school locked down for a short period.

The local TV station reported that a 16-year-old boy was responsible for the situation, because he repeatedly bent his iPod music player, which caused it to malfunction. The boy bent the iPod so many times that the gadget’s plastic casing broke open, but he continued to flex the broken case anyway. Soon thereafter, this caused the lithium-ion battery to emit smoke and sparks. The boy dropped the iPod on the classroom’s tile floor and poured water on the device to put out the fire.

Ambulances from surrounding towns had to be called to the school, which has about 430 students. About 20 students were in the affected classroom at the time of the fire. Because the iPod let off some smoke, these kids were examined for any signs of smoke inhalation. “That number is more than we can handle, so we called in aid from three other towns’ ambulance services to help us assess all the patients,” said the local fire chief.

As a precaution, two students were taken to area hospitals; both are expected to be fine. Superintendent Frank Mellaci said that within an hour of the air quality check, the school was allowed to reopen.

Many people are not aware that these types of batteries, while small, can be dangerous. “If you breach the battery, they can cause an explosion that can cause a significant amount of fire” and severe burns, said the local fire chief. Click here to read another story about a child being burned by an iPod, and the lawsuit the child’s family filed against the company.

School officials are still taking statements and have yet to determine if any disciplinary action should be taken against the student with the iPod.

The lesson here for parents and kids alike is this: The new gadgets that come out every few months have pieces inside them that can be dangerous. It is up to both parents and kids to understand the new products they buy–and to make sure they know how to keep them safe from overheating, fire, or explosion.

Contact Information