Published on:

Flammable Liquids

Flammable and combustible liquids are liquids that can burn. These liquids give off vapors that mix with air and can catch on fire from a source of ignition causing serious burns. The vapor is actually what burns, not the liquid. The lowest temperature at which the liquid gives off enough vapor to be ignited is called the flashpoint.

Flammable and combustible liquids include gasoline, kerosene, paint and paint thinners, solvents, cleaners, polishes and others. There are certain rules to be followed to avoid serious burns from flammable liquids which include:

  • Read the manufacturer’s label on the flammable liquid container before its use.
  • Flammable liquids should be kept away from open flames and sparks.
  • Always store flammable liquids in the original manufacturer’s containers or approved cans.
  • Flammable liquids should not be used near open flame or any source of heat.
  • Always use flammable liquids in a well ventilated area.
  • You should never smoke around flammable liquids.
  • Empty containers that contained flammable liquids should be properly discarded.
  • Avoid spilling flammable liquids on you, if this should occur; rinse the area thoroughly as soon as possible.
  • Don’t use flammable liquids for purposes for which they are not intended.
  • Be aware that cell phones should not be used while pumping gas (the cell phone could ignite the fumes).
  • Never fill a gas can in the bed of a pick up truck (the fumes will be contained within the bed of the truck).

This information is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice; it should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Call 911 for all medical emergencies.

Contact Information