Published on:

A Moment of Inattention Brings a Lifetime of Dealing With a Severe Burn Injury

Here are just two more examples of families suffering the mental anguish of an injured child because of a single moment of carelessness:

First, a toddler in a home outside Atlanta had to be flown to a burn unit at a hospital in the city after being scalded by a bowl of Ramen noodles she pulled off a table. The Times of Gainesville reported a helicopter took the 14-month-old girl to Grady Memorial Hospital. A county sheriff said the little girl suffered severe burns to her upper chest and abdomen, but that she’s expected to survive.

The sheriff added the girl was being cared for by a babysitter at the home when the incident happened around lunchtime. The family might now investigate whether the babysitter has legal liability for the toddler’s injuries.

In a second incident, a 5-year-old boy in a town outside Seattle went to a local hospital in critical condition after suffering severe burns while playing with fingernail-polish remover and a lighter. The boy suffered burns over 30 percent of his body and was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

The boy’s mother was home with him at the time of the accident and called 911. Police, fire, and medic crews from two counties responded to the apartment. It is not known how the boy managed to find a lighter while his mother was at home with him. But her mental anguish will probably take much longer to heal than her son’s injuries.

In short: Children must be watched closely at all times, because it only takes a second or two for them to get into situations where they can be start a fire or get burned severely.

Contact Information