Articles Posted in First Degree Burns

Published on:

In Arlington Heights, IL last week, a man was burned in his own home and a firefighter was injured when he responded to the fire–a fire that started from careless use of flammable materials inside the home.

The man was able to escape his smoke-filled basement after chemical fumes exploded in his face. Moments later, firefighters pulled out of the building just before the first floor collapsed. “We got out just in time,” said the Arlington Heights fire chief.

The homeowner was attempting to plug a hole in his basement with a flammable patching material when the nearby water heater turned on. The spark from the water heater ignited fumes created from the patching material. The man suffered first- and second-degree burns to his face from the ignited fumes but was able to escape along with his wife before firefighters showed up to the home.

Published on:


Burns of all degrees including first degree can be avoided or decreased by following simple measures, burns caused by scalding with hot water can be prevented by careful handling of hot liquids, turning pot handles on the stove out of the reach of children, check the temperature of the bath water before putting the child in the tub, setting the water heater thermostat no higher than 120°F (49°C), install radiator covers, insulate exposed stem pipes, properly placed and working smoke detectors, children must be taught never to play with matches, lighters, gasoline, never allow children to handle fireworks without adult supervision.

Sunburns may be prevented by the liberal use of a sunscreen with a SPF of 15 and above, use protective coverings like hats, loose clothing, and umbrellas, avoid spending time in the sun between 10 am and 3 pm when the most damaging ultraviolet rays are present.

Contact Information